Saturday, February 6, 2010

Conversation and Chocolate-Cherry-Almond Clusters

Last night, Nathan and I sat on the couch and enjoyed a good long conversation together along with a couple of these no- guilt, semi-addictive, after-dinner treats. (Other than the sweetened cherries, there is no sugar in these babies!)
Of course, the chocolate clusters didn't last but through the first few sentences of the conversation...actually now that I think of it, I think I said something like, "Wait. I'll finish my thought in a minute. Just let me enjoy this first." They are melt-in-your-mouth-yummy. But maybe that's just because I'm on a chocolate kick....which is apparently lasting a lifetime....

Anyway, we sat there for a long time, discussing things about life and death, and heaven and hell, and it occurred to us that neither of spend enough time really thinking about these things. And that if we did really think about these things more often, we would probably live life somewhat differently, and at the least, view ourselves and people in general differently. In the mean time, we want to live in such a way that Jesus is enjoyed and savored in all of life. Even in chocolate clusters. So here's the recipe. It's quick and super-easy. Make 'em. Enjoy 'em. Thank God for chocolate. And if you love Jesus, savor His goodness and mercy as you take a bite.

Chocolate-Cherry-Almond Clusters

adapted from Better Homes and Gardens, Ellie Krieger

1 cup whole almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips (I use Ghiradelli)

In a medium bowl, toss together the chopped almonds and chopped dried cherries.
In another medium, microwavable bowl, put the bittersweet chocolate chips. Melt in the microwave, stopping every 20-30 seconds to stir until chocolate pieces are just about melted. Continue to stir the chocolate pieces until completely melted.

Combine the almonds and cherries with the melted chocolate and stir until completely coated. Drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before serving.

4 comments:

Liam said...

Wow, that seems easy--an upscale version of Cherry Mash (don't laugh, that is my favorite candy bar--St. Joseph, Missouri! But I also like Twin Bing!) We are going to a game night so you have given me something I can whip up as my contribution to the goodie larder.

I also hear in your story the need to be able to stop and reflect on important things--like the Gospel, and kindness (God's leads to repentance), and seeing others. It sounds like Choco-Cherry Almond Clusters are Reflection Confections!

Hendricks family said...

I love it--that's their new name! "Reflection Confections"!
O.k. I'm not laughing because I LOVE Cherry Mash, my fav--especially with an ice cold Cherry Coke. But honestly, Twin Bing just doesn't cut it for me.

Megs said...

oh linds. i do thinkg of you everytime i see something "cherry". you're my cherry-girl. love ya!

Libby said...

Just ran across another variation... this one includes Rice Crispies.
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1687632