Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Roasted Califlower: Unexpectedly Delicious

I will admit, I've never been a big fan of cauliflower. Among its vibrantly colored counterparts on the holiday veggie tray, it always seems a bit unexciting and bitter. Anything I have to cover in ranch dressing in order to swallow isn't worth the calories. But last week, cauliflower was on sale for 97 cents, so I brought one home as a challenge.
Good ol' Alice, she never fails me when it comes to vegetables. I tried her Roasted Sliced Cauliflower recipe. The result? Simple. Easy. Delicious. The way cooked vegetables should be. My mouth was salivating as I pulled the pan out of the oven. Roasting transforms the cauliflower slices into sweet and almost nutty, morsels. Nathan and I ate the whole head of cauliflower in one meal--it's that good!

Roasted Sliced Cauliflower
from Alice Waters' The Art of Simple Food, pg. 299

Trim and wash cauliflower and cut across the whole head into 1/4-inch thick slices. Roast some of the undamaged leaves as well--they are quite tasty. Lay out the slices in a single layer on a baking sheet, brush with oil, and season with salt and pepper. (I'm a big fan of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.)
Roast in a 400 degree oven until tender and starting to brown, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle the slices with chopped fresh herbs or crushed whole spices, for variety.

No comments: